Our department is responsible for getting students to and from school safely each day. This includes coordinating bus routes throughout the district, teaching bus safety to students, registering students for school bus service and contracting with First Student Transportation Services (regular education students) and Mainline Transportation, Inc. (special education students).
Bus routes and schedules: Transportation Office at 763-745-5195 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lost and Found: First Student for regular education students and MTI for special education students.
Special Education Transportation: Janea Mitchell at Janea.Mitchell@wayzataschools.org or 763-745-5033.
Change of Address: Update your address with the Welcome Center.
- Ridership Eligibility
- Daycare and Home Base
- Staying Seated
- Crossing the Street
- Getting Off the Bus
- School Bags
- School Bus Safety Rules
- Miscellaneous Information
Transportation for kindergarten students is provided if they reside more than 0.5 miles from their elementary school of assignment. Buses do not travel into culs-de-sac, so in most situations involving culs-de-sac, your student will be required to walk out to the corner. Generally, however, kindergarten students will not be expected to walk more than 0.3 miles to their designated bus stop.
Transportation will be provided for daycare from daycare sites if located within the attendance area of the school. The district discourages parents from alternating schedules between home and daycare. We ask that the drop off or pick up locations be consistent daily to eliminate confusion on the part of your child, school, and/or the bus company. These forms must be completed and submitted by the deadline date indicated on the form if you wish to have bus service from daycare.
If your daycare arrangements change or end during the school year, a new form must be completed.
It is vital your child remain seated while the bus is moving to prevent injury. Students should not get up until the bus stops at the school or at the student’s bus stop. The driver will allow them time to get seated in the morning and time to safely move away from the bus in the afternoon before pulling away from the stop.
Not sitting on the bus is the same as not wearing a seat belt in your car!
Extra caution must be used if it is necessary for your child to cross the street to get on the bus or go to your home. Students must wait for the bus to come to a complete stop, the red lights are flashing and the stop arm at the front of the bus is extended. The driver will then signal the students when it is safe to cross. Students must wait for the driver’s signal and cross 10 feet in front of the bus so the driver can see them at all times.
If a child can see the driver, the driver can see the child!
A book bag or backpack will be very helpful to your student in making the trip to school each day. All papers, shoes, books or other loose items should be carried in the bag. It is very difficult for small children to carry extra items as they board the bus. Almost all accidents that occur around the bus are the result of children trying to retrieve papers or other dropped items.
Please check the bag or backpack to be certain it has a permanent label with your child’s name, school and home/drop off address. This information is useful to the driver in the event your child loses his/her name tag.
Please be certain there are no long draw-strings items or key chains dangling from the bag or backpack which could become tangled in the door of the bus as your child enters or exits and cause injury.
- Stay out of the “Danger Zones” around the bus
- Follow the driver’s instructions.
- Be on time for the bus — 5 minutes early.
- Always sit down and face forward.
- Be courteous. No pushing, tripping, swearing and yelling.
- No eating or drinking on the bus.
- Keep your head and arms inside the bus windows – windows only half open.
- Keep your bus clean. Do not damage the bus.
- Never throw objects inside or out of the bus.
- No animals or dangerous objects on the bus.
It is a privilege – not a right – to ride the bus.
- Always have your child’s name, address and phone number on a slip of paper in his/her pocket and permanently attached to the backpack or book bag.
- The district discourages students riding buses other than their assigned bus; if it is unavoidable, please contact the school or transportation directly regarding the day(s) the student will be riding a different bus.
- You will receive route information either by mail prior to the start of school.
- The district strongly encourages parents/guardians to be at bus stops when kindergartners are dropped off. (Drivers prefer to see parents/guardians at the bus stops, but are not required to see them in order to drop off students.) If your garage door is open the driver assumes you are home and your child can gain safe entry to your home.
- Be certain your home and mailbox contain large street address numbers that are easily visible to the bus driver.
- Finally, the driving public must be aware of the importance of stopping for the red flashing lights and the stop arm. When these are in operation it means students are getting on/off the bus and may need to cross the street. With the cooperation of everyone involved we can continue to provide safe and efficient school transportation at all times. Violating this important safety tool can result in a court appearance and fine up to $700!
- Parents/guardians are not allowed to ride or board the bus.
|Monday through Friday|
|3:20pm||From High School to Central Middle School
Leaves bus corral of High School and stops at Central Middle School
|3:20pm||From High School to Lifetime Fitness
Leaves bus corral of High School and stops at Lifetime Fitness
|4:10pm||From East to Central to West
Leaves lower lot of East at 4:10, leaves Central at 4:17, arrives at West at 4:30
|4:10pm||From West to Central to East to Lifetime Fitness
Leaves east side of West at 4:10, leaves Central at 4:17, leaves East at 4:28, arrives Lifetime at 4:45
|5:30pm||From Central to East (also the Choice Late Run Bus)
Leaves main doors of Central at 5:30, arrives at lower lot of East at 5:40
|5:30pm||From Central to West (also the Choice Late Run Bus)
Leaves main doors of Central at 5:30, arrives at West at 5:40
|The Choice is Yours Late Bus Information|
Leaves at 4:30 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays only
|Central & East Middle Schools||#376
Leaves main doors of Central at 5:30, leaves lower lot of East at 5:40 for Minneapolis
Runs Monday through Thursday
|Central & West Middle Schools||#370
Leaves main doors of Central at 5:30, leaves West at 5:40 for Minneapolis
Runs Monday through Thursday
- Click the dropdown arrow to read route details such as departure time and boarding location.
- Click the magnifying glass.
- Enter your address and click "Move map to."
- Click the bus stop closest to your address. Note the bus stop location.
- Click on the blue route path. Note the route number.
Versatrans My Stop is a web-based application available to all Wayzata Public School parents and students that lets them access live bus GPS information. Using a smartphone or tablet, parents and students can view the current location of buses on routes and the estimated time of arrival at their neighborhood bus stops.
This simple and informative tool gives parents, guardians and students the ability to know approximately where the school bus is on its route. Versatrans My Stop displays the school bus’ approximate location on a map, as well as the estimated time of arrival (ETA) to a specific student’s bus stop. The school bus’ location is automatically updated every 1 to 2 minutes and the ETA is recalculated to accommodate any delays due to traffic while the bus is en route.
Versatrans My Stop can be downloaded to iOS devices (iPhones and iPads) from the iTunes store and to Android devices from Google Play.
To use My Stop:
- Download the Versatrans My Stop app
- Tap the Versatrans My Stop app icon to launch the My Stop landing screen (if you are using an iOS device, you will be prompted to allow Location Services and Notification)
- Tap to display a list of school districts. If the screen is blank, tap the Closest Districts button.
- Scroll down until you reach Wayzata Public Schools ISD284, select and tap OK. The login screen displays.
- Enter your Username and Password
Each student has a unique username and password associated with his/her routing information.
- Login = Student ID#
If you do not know your child's Student ID Number, you can find it in Skyward Family Access under "Student Info" in the left-hand menu:
- Password = Student birthday in MMDDYYYY format (e.g., July 1, 2000 would be 07012000)
- Login = Student ID#
- Tap Login. The Versatrans My Stop screen displays your child's name.
- If there is more than one student associated with your username, tap on the name displayed and the other students will display.
- Tap on your child's name and a map displays with their bus route and current bus location. The bus route and bus position only display when the route is scheduled and GPS data is available. If the route is scheduled and there is no GPS data, then it will still show the student stop but not the bus.
You will see a map depicting a portion of your student's bus route. Your child's name will display in the box in the top menu bar.
The yellow arrow represents the current location and direction of your child's bus. The green line shows the portion of the neighborhood bus route where students are picked up or dropped off. The lavender colored line shows the planned route from/to the school to the neighborhood bus route.
The box at the bottom of the map provides system messages and lists the current location of your child's bus as well as the estimated time the bus will arrive at your child's bus stop.
If you have any questions you can contact Transportation at email@example.com or call 763-745-5195.
Tips & Tricks
- Do not log in to Versatrans My Stop too early before your child's scheduled pick-up or drop-off time. The data provided through My Stop is constantly changing. Estimated times of arrival are based on standard GPS route calculations, and not the actual length of time remaining to get to your child's bus stop. You will access the most accurate data if you check the system within 10 minutes of your child's scheduled pick-up or drop-off time.
- Both parents and students will use the same login information to access the system (parents and students do not have separate accounts)
- If the app is not compatible with your device or you would like to use a computer, you can access Versatrans My Stop with your web browser at https://wayzata.k12transportation.us/elinkrp/