The purpose of this policy is to provide direction and guidance for the use of face coverings during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We recognize that healthy children are better learners. Our district nurses and school-based health paraprofessionals work collaboratively to promote the health and safety of our students.
The role of district nurses
Our licensed school nurses provide care in concert with health paraprofessionals for students at all schools. They perform the following services.
- provide needed physical assessment, direct nursing care and specialized health procedures to students
- develop and assist with the implementation of individual health plans for students with chronic health conditions
- train and support school staff to assist students' needs as identified by their health plans
- serve as in-house resources, liaisons and advocates for students, parents and community service organizations regarding individual and general health care issues
The role of health paraprofessionals
Our health paraprofessionals work in the school health offices under the supervision of the licensed school nurse. They are certified in CPR and First Aid and receive targeted health education on pertinent school health-related topics such as diabetes, anaphylaxis, asthma and epilepsy. They perform the following services.
- provide direct care to students who become ill during the school day
- administer medications
- assist district nurses with the prevention and control of communicable diseases
- distribute communicable disease information to school staff and parents as needed
- assist with vision and hearing screening programs
Dawn Willson, RN, PHN, LSN
Health Services Supervisor
Kari Feia, RN, PHN, LSN, MA
Greenwood and North Woods elementary schools, and East Middle School
Lynda Lankford, RN, PHN, LSN, MEd
Gleason Lake and Plymouth Creek elementary schools and West Middle School
Melissa Wilson, RN, PHN, LSN
Kimberly Lane, Meadow Ridge and Sunset Hill elementary schools
Natalie Sullivan, RN, PHN, LSN
Birchview Elementary School and Central Middle School
Stacy Schmidt, RN, PHN, LSN
Wayzata Early Learning School and Oakwood Elementary School
Jean Parsons, RN, PHN, LSN, MS
Wayzata High School and Wayzata Transition
Hanna Olstad, RN, PHN, LSN