- Emergency Closings
- Email Communication
- Updating Contact Information
- Social Media
- Community Connections
Winter Weather Closure Protocol
Our weather can change quickly this time of year. In the event of a weather-related school closing or late start/early release, families will be notified as soon as possible by phone, email, and SMS text messages (message and data rates may apply).
Weather-related school announcements will also be posted on the district website at www.wayzataschools.org, District Facebook and Twitter, and shared with the following local media: WCCO Radio 830 AM; WCCO-TV, Channel 4; KSTP-TV, Channel 5; KMSP-TV, Channel 9; and KARE- TV, Channel 11.
In general, the following protocols will be followed when the superintendent makes the decision to start school late or close school:
When the decision is made to close Wayzata Public Schools all day, this includes Wayzata Kids child care, ECFE classes and preschool, community use of facilities, Adult Basic Education classes, and youth and adult evening events and classes.
If the district announces a late start, Wayzata Kids will also start late. If school starts two-hours late, then Wayzata Kids child care and full-day preschool will open at 9:00 a.m. and morning preschool and ECFE programs will be canceled.
The decision to close school is made as quickly as possible based on information gathered from various resources. The most important factor in this decision is the safety of all students and staff as they travel to and from school. To help ensure that your family can be notified when these decisions are made, please be sure to keep your contact information up-to-date in Skylert throughout the year.
To ensure you receive email communication, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book. This will help ensure emails from the district or schools aren't filtered out by your email system. If you're not receiving emails, please check your contact information in Skyward Family Access. If your information in Skyward Family Access is correct and you're still not receiving emails, please reach out to email@example.com.
District Email Announcements
The District sends out important announcements via email as necessary. These emails are sent to the appropriate mailing lists as dictated by the communication.
School Email Announcements
Individual Schools send out important announcements via email as necessary. These emails are sent to the appropriate mailings lists at the respective school as dictated by the communication.
All district schools send out a weekly or bi-weekly newsletter to families.
The district sends out a bi-weekly newsletter called Around the District.
Parent/Guardian Contact Information— phone and email address
- Login to Skyward Family access
- First, make sure it says Family Access at the top of the page. If it doesn’t, click the down arrow next to the house icon and select Family Access.
- Click on the Skylert icon on the homepage.
- Use the tabs at the top of this screen to update phone contacts, email contacts, and text message contacts.
- You can also determine what types of notifications each of those contacts receive by checking, or unchecking the boxes for the appropriate notifications.
Wayzata Public Schools Social Media Overview
For many years our students, parents, and staff members have been using social media to connect with friends, network with colleagues, and stay in touch with long-lost friends. Wayzata Public Schools is proud of our robust social media presence with many channels to meet the needs of our diverse communities.
Whether you are a student, Wayzata alumni, a local businessperson, parent, grandparent, or a fan of the Wayzata Public Schools, we welcome you! We use our channels to share with you the many exciting things happening in our schools. You can expect to see news, upcoming events, school activities and more published on our social media channels. Each channel will have a unique focus.
We will post flyers promoting your community event or program, if you meet the following guidelines:
- You represent a local non-profit organization, Wayzata Public Schools parent group (including PTA/PTO and boosters) or Wayzata Public Schools student organization.
- The event or program you are showcasing promotes opportunities for students that will enhance achievement and wellness and/or support Wayzata Public Schools programs.
- There are no references to political views.
- We receive an original – not scanned – PDF of your flyer.