We educate teens to be safe drivers with full knowledge of driving rules and strong driving skills.
- Consists of 30-hours of classroom training
- Taught by a teacher with both a teaching license and a driver education certificate
- Offered in the evenings, after school and summer break
- Classes held at Wayzata High School unless indicated differently.
Families may find the District sponsored classes more stringent than commercial programs. There are tests after each section and a practice permit test is taken at the end to prepare for the actual permit test.
Cancellation policy - 3 business days (M-F) before class starts for a refund.
To schedule Behind the Wheel, please call 763-745-6869.
- Behind the Wheel is available for registration after successful completion of the 30-hour classroom portion of Driver Education.
- Behind the Wheel instruction consists of six hours (three sessions of two hours each).
If you did not pay for Behind the Wheel and receive the blue card on the last day of the 30-hour classroom session, but have now registered for Behind the Wheel, call 763-745-5265 and request the blue card.
The blue card is required to take the permit test. After passing the permit test, drive as much as possible to make the Behind the Wheel experience that much better.
- Please drive as much as possible. We are then able to critique the driving skills to point out areas that need special focus and more practice for greater success with the driver license testing.
- To schedule Behind the Wheel around that time, please call 763-745-6869. It may take 3-4 business days to receive a return call from an instructor. The information is given to another instructor and that instructor will contact you directly as each instructor does their own scheduling. They will schedule three two-hour sessions and usually these sessions will be completed within two weeks or sooner.
- Students must have their permit for six months before they are able to take their driver license test. For this test you will need to make an appointment.
- If you cancel a driving appointment without sufficient notice, there will be a rescheduling fee.
- There is a $10 charge to replace a lost blue card which is needed for the permit testing.
- There is a $10 charge to replace a lost white card which is needed for the driver license testing.
- Who needs to take Driver Education classes?
- At what age should my child take classroom?
- When can my child take behind the wheel?
- How long does my child need to hold their permit before being eligible to take their driver examination test?
- Why should I choose the Wayzata Public Schools' program?
- Do we need to attend Wayzata Public Schools to register for Driver Education?